December 30, 2010

Life As I See It, Right At This Moment

It has been one of those weeks. You know, one of those weeks. The kind of week that sneaks up behind you, trips you, throws a bag over your head, kicks you a few times in the ribs, jumps up and down on you a little, and then, when you finally pull yourself to your feet again, follows you for a couple blocks and does it all again. Oh yes, one of THOSE. If it could possibly go wrong, this week, it has. The heater in my car is broken, there is something painfully wrong with my knee, the apartment is a mess. I broke one of my favorite coffee mugs, I've had a headache for three days now, and our plans for New Year's Eve went up in smoke. I could go on (and on and on), but suffice it to say it's been a long, bad week.... and it's only Wednesday.
When I hit a slump like this, I always have a tough time pulling myself to my feet and forcing myself to break the streak. I know that a lot of people in this situation would simply sit themselves down for a little pep talk and tell themselves to think positively. For me, though, it tends to take some outside force to end a slew of crappy days -- either a fortuitous event that comes along and turns things right around, or some realization that forces me to stop feeling so bad for myself. Luckily, tonight I stumbled across that little trip-wire and was smacked in the head with a lesson in perspective: no matter how bad things are, they could always be worse. It sounds cheesy but it is so true -- it's what I realize every spring night that I lie back on the warm pavement at night and stare up into the massive expanse of stars. Life is so much bigger than all of our little problems, even when several little ones snowball into a big, ugly pile of problems. It's time for me to be grateful that my life is as good as it is, because in the end, that always turns out to be good enough.


   Love,
    Meg
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com