January 18, 2013

Friday-ish

A few favorites, a few un-favorites, and a few things that are just worth noting on this (finally) sunny Friday. And.... go.

1. I'm a little worried that just two and a half weeks into the new year, I am finding myself severely lacking in the motivation department. Maybe it's all the dark, rainy weather or maybe I'm still recovering from last week's marathon cold, but all week it has been a serious struggle to do much more than just sit and collect dust. It's much harder than normal to get to the gym in the mornings, and once I'm there even just talking myself onto the treadmill is a chore. The elliptical is like a little magnet: it's boring, but I can zone out for a while, break a little sweat, burn a few calories, and call it a workout. I'm not sure if my body is trying to tell me it's tired, or if I'm just being lazy. 
2. The forecast called for 2-10 inches of snow yesterday. Instead, it snowed for an hour and then turned back into rain. Now there's plenty of ice but not even a lingering dusting of white. Bummer.
3. I did muster up the energy to make dinner last night, and I was so glad I did. If you're in need of a simple and relatively quick meal, check out this recipe. I used ribeye instead of chicken and left out the peppers, but the real key is the cooking method (you cook the meat, then wrap the sandwiches and stick them in the oven for a while). It certainly didn't hurt that I also had some leftover cheese sauce that went quite nicely with a few chips...
4. I made another odd little recipe this week that, despite several moments of doubt, turned out pretty well. It was odd because the result wasn't really a biscuit, but it wasn't exactly a cake either. Next time I try it I'm thinking of treating them a bit more like scones. They have a great flavor, though, and were perfect for both breakfast and dessert. So perfect, in fact, that the cat helped himself to the leftovers last night, meaning that I am without breakfast today. Hope that was worth it, little guy.
5. I took my first weekly quiz for my class last night and scored a 19.5 out of 20. It was tough but not ridiculous, definitely on par with most of the classes I took in college. I'd say a 97.5% is a good way to start out the semester!
6. This little game is addicting.
7. Every year I say that I want to watch all the Oscar Best Picture nominees before the awards. Every year I fail miserably. This time around I do have a slight advantage, since we saw (and loved) Lincoln a little while ago. I really want to see Silver Linings Playbook, Argo, Zero Dark Thirty, and Django Unchained, but after all the lukewarm reviews, I'm not all that excited about Les Mis anymore. I also really want to catch The Master (nominated in several other categories), after hearing a great interview with Philip Seymour Hoffman. I'm still dying to see This is 40, too. Our brand new movie theater is wonderful but expensive, so I have a feeling most of these will be Redboxed in a few months. So much for having an informed rant all prepared for the academy on Oscar night.
8. Last night I dreamed that Toby ran away (a recurring nightmare, especially strange since typically he is curled up right next to me during these dreams) and that our bathtub/shower had been relocated to the front yard. So strange.
9. Amazon's sample system for Kindle books is wonderful and terrible all at once. I downloaded a bunch at the beginning of the year and have been making my way through them and loving each one, but they always end just as I start to get invested (clearly their marketing strategy is a success, or I'm a sucker, or both). Now I've got a huge list of books I'm just dying to buy. Meanwhile, I'm still slogging my way through All the King's Men, that dense selection that I started on the honeymoon. I'm enjoying it, but boy is it long and exhausting.
10. It's always nice to end with a puppy:
Dan took Teddy to work with him a few nights ago and he did great. Everyone loved him, and he was quiet and calm. His office is very dog-friendly, so this was a trial run and Dan is hoping to take him in more often. I'm wondering if they might find a job for him and send him home with a check? He's clearly quite good at sitting at a desk and looking cute.

Happy weekend, everyone!

   Love,

    Meg

0 had something to say:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com