March 2, 2012

Friday Favorites

Well hey there, Friday. You certainly did take your time this week, huh? Go ahead, have a seat and get comfy. Can I offer you a drink? Oh no, don't mind that I'm tying you to this chair. I promise to take care of you while I hold you hostage here for a while...
Now that you're thoroughly creeped out by my kidnapping tendencies, let's proceed with the regular Friday routine, in which I share several things that redeemed my week and kept me smiling.

Bad pictures, good eats. This week has been especially yummy: (clockwise from top left) pasta with scallops, an artichoke(!), and a glass (or two) of my favorite wine on Sunday evening; delicious grilled chicken salad with sunflower seeds, cranberries, cheese, onion, and spinach for lunch one day this week; excellent cheeseburgers with a side of gourmet my hubby's favorite Velveeta mac & cheese (can't win them all); and a butternut squash/cranberry/maple syrup concoction that turned out to be the perfect oatmeal topping and a slightly-less-guilty dessert. I am really enjoying cooking more since Dan has been home -- we've mastered several excellent meals and for the first time in a while, I get as excited about a meal at home as I do going out these days. That said, I am pretty excited that tonight we are headed out to let someone else do the slaving-over-the-stove thing for a change.
Speaking of yummy food...
I honestly can't get enough of this stuff. I was never a huge fan of couscous, but this is a whole different (and highly delectable) beast. Honestly, I start to freak out if I don't have at least two boxes on reserve in my pantry at all times. So far the roasted garlic & olive oil is my favorite, but the  basil & herb is pretty fantastic too. I've added some wilted spinach and sauteed mushrooms to the mix before, but really it's perfect just the way it is.... right from the pot.... eating mouthfuls straight from the serving spoon. Don't judge until you've tried it.

It is taking every ounce of self-restraint I possess not to click "purchase" on this lovely item. Hard to tell from the picture, but it's 8.5 inches wide, so there's plenty of room for cash, cards, cell phone, keys, lip gloss, an emergency stash of benadryl... the list goes on. It's the perfect size to carry alone as a clutch or drop in a bag (preferably this one that I've been lusting after for forever). My current purse found itself at the mercy of a certain furball's claws last week, so I know it's only a matter of time before I cave in and replace it with one of these beauties. Thankfully I've been working a ton of overtime lately, so when I do eventually give in, maybe I can spin it as less "impulse buy" and more "hard-earned"....

I have to be honest... I did not want to go see this movie last night. I did not want to watch something that I knew would hit close to home. I did not want to sit there with every muscle in my body clenched tight for over two hours. I did not want to sit there with involuntary tears streaming down my face when it was over. All that said, I am so glad that we went: as hard as it was to watch, the movie was surprisingly well done and certainly enlightening. It's one of those that I think lots of Americans need to see, in hopes that they might learn a little respect for the incredible sacrifices our military servicemembers make every day. I've always been incredibly proud of my husband for choosing to do what he does, but this film brought that pride even more acutely into focus.

I know I've been on a some-ecards kick lately, but this has to be my favorite one ever -- I just can't help but laugh every time I read it.

Lastly but most importantly: I want to wish a very happy birthday to this beautiful lady! She is such an incredible girl and I am so very lucky to call her a friend. She has been an amazing life line through everything this past year (the wedding, Dan's deployment, my dad's death), I honestly am not sure what I would have done without her. Can't wait to celebrate this weekend!

Happy Friday everyone!

   Love,

    Meg

0 had something to say:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com