March 29, 2012

In Which My Bathtub Enjoys a Spa Day

Yep, you read that right. No, I didn't get to enjoy a spa day. No, I didn't even get to enjoy a relaxing bath. Yep, my bathtub got the spa day, grainy fruit scrub and all. And yep... I was jealous.
A while ago on some random corner of the internet (I promise I would cite the source if I could remember it), I came across a unique way to clean your bathtub. The tip suggested cutting a grapefruit in half, sprinkling salt on the part that most normal people would eat, and scrubbing away. I will admit I was a little skeptical... our bathtub seems to accumulate grime at record speed, and at least once a week I spend almost an hour hunched over with a sponge and super-powered (but environmentally friendly!) cleaner, cursing under my breath. I was willing to give it a try, though, so the next time I ran across grapefruit at Whole Foods I picked one up.
sadly, my grapefruit didn't have quite such an artistic fate
A few days later I hit the shower after an evening run and noticed that the floor was starting to look a little... past its peak. I'm pretty sure that my hubby thought I had finally lost it when I yelled out and asked him to bring me a grapefruit and a bowl of salt, but he sliced up the fruit and dubiously brought it into the bathroom. I went to work: dipping the grapefruit in salt, scrubbing for a minute, and then going back for more salt. The article I read actually suggests sprinkling salt onto the bathtub, which I think would work just as well.
The verdict? At first I was really impressed: the salt seemed very effective and I didn't have to work nearly as hard to scrub where the dirt had accumulated. Before long, though, I realized that while the grapefruit and salt loosened the grime, it didn't exactly get rid of it... really, it just moved it around some. To combat this, I ended up using both the grapefruit and a sponge: grapefruit to get things started, sponge to finish the job. This worked pretty well, and by the end I had a sparkling bathtub. I'm not sure it cut down on cleaning time, but I'd still recommend the idea, with one caveat: you need at least one whole grapefruit (2 halves, although 3 or 4 would be better) and more salt than you'd expect. 
The reward, though? First, this little concoction leaves your bathroom smelling heavenly. Even Dan commented on how good it smelled the next day. Second, I got to enjoy breakfast the next morning:
I promise this one didn't touch any bathtubs
Not bad for a super cheap, completely natural cleaner!

   Love,

    Meg

0 had something to say:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com