April 25, 2011

A Hoppin' Easter Weekend

[please excuse the terrible pun... it's that kind of Monday]
I am simply astounded at the speed with which our weekends fly by these days. I feel like I barely sat down, barely slept, barely took a breath at all this weekend, which was wonderful and exhausting all in the same sentence. Monday really did come a little too quickly for my taste. 
Dan and I often take Friday evenings off to relax and be boring, but not this week: as soon as I left work we headed straight for the grocery store and then home to make dinner. Dan's youngest brother Z and his adorable girlfriend came over and we had pierogies (best. appetizer. ever.), grilled chicken sandwiches, mashed potatoes, stuffed mushrooms, and this amazing pie for dessert. [Please, if you do nothing else this week, make that pie. It is surprisingly easy, sticky, and heavenly. Really, so so good. Go on, you know you want to.]
(before it went back in the oven to melt the marshmallows... all over my oven... which was absolutely worth it)
 Saturday I got up early for a long run while my awesome hubby went back to the grocery store to get ingredients for last minute sugar-less and egg-less cupcakes (my family has a thing for allergies). I made this recipe (not terrible but I'm not sure I'd make it again) and used a Splenda version of my favorite icing (definitely better with real sugar), finishing off some with sliced strawberries and the rest with sprinkles. While baking, I learned an important lesson which I feel compelled to share with any of you who are, like me, slightly clumsy and blessed with blonde hair: after turning the oven on to preheat, even for only 10 seconds until you remember that there are melted marshmallows lining the bottom, do not simply turn the oven off and dive in to start cleaning. The oven will be hot. You will burn your thumb to pieces and then jump up and down squealing, which will cause your husband to alternate concern and barely suppressed giggles. Two days later, your thumb will have a nasty blister that still hurts. You're welcome.
So Dan and I first headed out to my aunt's and uncle's to help celebrate my cousin's 8th birthday (we never turn down a party). We had a great time catching up with the adults, chuckling at the fearless 5-year-old-on-a-bicycle, and enjoying some fantastic hamburgers. Then we headed to Dan's parent's house for more grilling, easter egg dye-ing (for the girls), and a scary movie.
Sunday brought another morning run and super-fast baking session (this time cake-mix cookies and no burnt thumb... much better on both accounts) before we headed off to my mom's and then Dan's great aunt's to visit with lots of family and eat more excellent food. Last night, at the request of the four-year-old who I am convinced is stuck inside Dan, we went to see 'Hop.' It was a cute movie (although not nearly as good as Despicable Me or Alvin and the Chipmunks), and if you ask me there are definitely worse ways to end your weekend than a cherry coke, buttery popcorn, and holding hands with your hubby. 
Speaking of Dan, I was so thrilled to discover the most wonderful easter basket "hidden" in the pantry yesterday morning! Unfortunately, I was so excited that I didn't even think to take a picture, but it was filled with cute little tea towels, an adorable bunny dish, a piggy bank (because I am forever being made fun of for my overflowing "change cup"), and all the best kinds of easter candy. What a great husband, right?
As exhausting as this weekend was, I am so glad that we have been taking advantage of every last minute that Dan is here. I know that once he leaves, weekends are going to go from crazy busy to lonely and sad, so for now I'm loving all the time with family, friends, and my sweet hubby. I only wish time would slow down a little bit!
Hope that you all had a fantastic Easter with your own loved ones!




   Love,

    Meg

0 had something to say:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com