March 2, 2011

Sometimes It's Okay...

Since graduating from college and dipping my toes into this whole "real life" thing, I've noticed that my perspective on what is "acceptable" has changed in many ways. I worked my butt off during four years of school, but the 8-5 workday has introduced a whole new meaning to the word "exhausted." Turning in work for a grade was stressful enough, but turning in work to a boss? That's a whole new ballgame. Beyond the job front, I've also moved out "on my own"... except, with a boy. If anything will change your perspective on personal habits, let. me. tell. you. I love him to death, but sometimes I wonder if we really are both of the same species. And speaking of species, there's also the fact that I am still a new parent... of a furball. Lots of adjustments!
I have always been a perfectionist (and still am, don't get me wrong), but these new experiences have taught me a lot about when and where it's okay to let go a little, stop feeling guilty, and just live:


Sometimes it's okay... to invite your parents over for dinner... and then ask them to bring dinner. At least I was making dessert!
Sometimes it's okay... to make yourself feel better because even though the girl sprinting on the treadmill next to you has run twice the distance you have and she's barely broken a sweat, she's wearing workout clothes left over from the early 80's. Plus she shouts the answers to Wheel of Fortune. From the treadmill. Awkward.
Sometimes it's okay... to take a compliment. Especially if it's in regards to something you've been busting your ass on lately. Don't minimize the effort, just smile and say thank you (and then do a little victory dance once no one is looking).
Sometimes it's okay... to read magazines online instead of spending the money to subscribe. It's fun to get something other than bills in the mail, but no matter how interesting they look, they will only sit on the coffee table for months. I always get through the Food Network magazine that my mom got me, and I'm so tempted to subscribe to 1 or 2 or 6 more, but I know I'd never have time to read them.
Sometimes it's okay... to miss your fiance terribly when he's gone but to be comforted a little by the fact that there is a little extra space to stretch out in bed.
Sometimes it's okay... to force the cat to sleep in bed with you because the bed feels a little too big without afore mentioned fiance. Luckily we adopted a snuggler, so it doesn't take much convincing for little Toby.
Sometimes it's okay... to visit the in-laws for a yummy homemade dinner that you didn't actually have to cook. Also to accept their offer of leftover macaroni and cheese to take home... but to turn down the broccoli. (Who am I kidding? This is always okay.) 
Sometimes it's okay... to wear a boring outfit to work. It's tough to color-coordinate and accesorize when your eyes are still half shut in the mornings.
Sometimes it's okay... to need a little space.
Sometimes it's okay... to pack a healthy lunch for work... and then go out to get a big, delicious side of hummus and pita to go with it.
Sometimes it's okay... to unsubscribe from all those emails that you never read anyway.
Sometimes it's okay... to drink a glass of tomato juice for breakfast at work and wish that it were a bloody mary.
Sometimes it's okay... to hit the snooze button and sleep through a morning workout, but still get up in plenty of time to stop at Starbucks on my way to work.
Sometimes it's okay... to take a day off from work. I'm definitely not used to getting vacation/personal days, and I'm so tempted to just save them up in case of an emergency. I've only taken one so far, but I am sooo ready for another one already. I miss cancelled classes and spring break and skipping a class every once in a while!
Sometimes it's okay... to cook for just one person. Cereal for dinner gets old. Fast.




   Love,

    Meg

0 had something to say:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com